Georgia pulled away in the fourth quarter to defeat Florida 37-16 on Saturday. The Dawgs have now outscored the Gators 79-23 in the last two matchups.After stewing the last two weeks over the loss at LSU, they responded in a big way, and coach Kirby Smart took note of his team’s effort.“The difference was we got kids with character,” Smart said. “Everybody questioned these kids because we didn’t play our best game, and all we did was work. Everybody questioned and questioned it. They are tough, physical kids. We still have a long way to go. But we got better today…They played their heart out. I’m so proud of the way they played. I’m proud for the University of Georgia.”Here are the statistical keys to the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party victory:
- The Gators entered the game with a plus-nine turnover margin, but were minus-three against the Bulldogs.
- Florida had held its last three opponents to just 9 of 41 (21.95%) on third down. Georgia finished the day 8 of 14 against the Gators and scored each of its touchdowns on 3rd-down plays. The Dawgs held the Gators to 4 of 13 on 3rd and 4th down conversions.
- Florida entered the game with 21 sacks, but Georgia’s offensive line, which was missing two starters for most of the game, yielded a single sack.
- Georgia finished with 189 yards rushing, including 80 in the fourth quarter. Florida had 170 on the ground. It’s the 13th consecutive year that the team with more rushing yards won the game.
- Georgia limited the Gators to 105 passing yards. In today’s world of high-flying offensive football, that’s a recipe for failure.The Bulldogs can clinch the SEC East next week at Kentucky. The Dawgs have beaten the Cats eight consecutive times. The game will be televised by CBS and kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET.
Football 59m ago
Georgia football wide receiver and talented return-man Mecole Hardman might be returning to Athens for his senior season in 2019. The (…)
News & Rumors 2d ago
No. 5 Georgia may have been expecting a second consecutive shot at a College Football Playoff title game, but after giving up a (…)
Lifestyle 6d ago
Georgia fans are used to getting trolled, especially after heartbreaking losses. The no-spike in the 2012 SEC Championship, the (…)
Football 6d ago
The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets hired Geoff Collins to replace longtime head coach Paul Johnson Friday after Chargers offensive (…)
News & Rumors 2w ago
Georgia cornerback Deandre Baker won the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive back. The (…)
Football 2w ago
The Jim Thorpe Award, presented to the nation’s best cornerback at the College Football Hall of Fame, was narrowed down to three (…)
Lifestyle 2w ago
Georgia cornerback Divaad Wilson got busted Thursday for posting a video of himself dancing on Twitter, despite having a hurt shoulder. (…)
Football 2w ago
Georgia football defensive coordinator Mel Tucker is on the move after just three seasons in Athens. Tucker will be leaving the (…)